Mindful Choices

I wanted to share something that happened to me yesterday :) I woke up with a headache. You know, the "I cried really hard last night" headache when your eyes hurt, too? My knees hurt and I had gone to
sleep way too late the night before. I put on my shoes and headed downstairs to workout with James. I could barely move. Even my windmills were pitiful. I told myself just to get through the warm up.

One of the rules I have for myself is that I always get up, get dressed, and do the first five inutes of my workout. 99.9% of the time, after the warmup my body and mind cooperate. I can get through the rest. Not this time.

After the warm up I turned off the video and went back to bed. But here is the key.... I did not judge myself or get mad. I recognized that my body and mind were telling me to rest. I rested. Had a great day with my family in San Fran and came home, relaxed and happy.

James put pizza in the oven for dinner. I thought back to the burrito/taco and breakfast I had splurged on in SF. I took a bite of pizza and put it back on the counter. Then, I went down to the gym and did my leg workout. I came back and had a salad and a grilled chicken breast for dinner.

I relate this story to you because the hardest part was making the choice not to work out and NOT beating myself up over it. If I had spent the day hating myself it would have ruined the day with my family and I would have drowned my misery in pizza.

Making a mindful choice and accepting it allows you to move forward without punishing yourself!